Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dell Mobile Broadband Error

I solved a problem today that is very common. But when you read the Dell discussion groups lots of people are complaining about it. And Dell does not have a solution. This is for laptops that have a mobile broadband modem built in.

The error is:

Dell Mobile Broadband Card Utility
Unknown Application Error: 9999

The customer I solved this for today spent 10 hours with Dell and AT&T tech support. Uninstalling, reintalling, letting them have remote control of the computer, the whole 9 yards. The customer was VERY frustrated.

I hooked up my AT&T phone to her laptop and found that the computer would not recognize it.

I went through several steps eliminating possibilities. Finally I found the solution and it was very simple:

1) Download the latest version of AT&T Communication Manager here and save it to the Desktop.
2) Uninstall the current AT&T Communication Manager. Reboot.
3) Install the AT&T Communication Manager I just downloaded.

Then BAM! Everything worked. I was there a total of 1 hour.

I don't know why Dell and HP couldn't figure this one out. But it's an easy solution. Hopefully someone will read this and be helped by it.

Have a great week!

Sincerely,
Matt Porter
Christian Geeks - IT Consultant
(817) 605-1819
AIM: BigTex0
http://www.christiangeeks.com
http://twitter.com/christiangeeks

No comments: