Friday, September 4, 2009

Computers and Seniors

Lately we've had a lot of calls from people who are retired. Various ages. 60's to 80's. They really make an impression on me. They really get into the Internet and working with the computer. And feel absolutely cut off from the world when they lose their Internet connection. It's a very lonely and isolated feeling.

Many people of that generation choose to ignore technology altogether and claim ignorance. Reflecting back on my grandparents (who are now singing His praises in heaven) I know my grandfather would have loved the Internet. He was a news and sports junkie. Always in the know about the issues. On top of that he worked the daily crosswords in pen.

My point? I have a special place in my heart for helping retired folks. They have a limited income, and are very insecure about their computer skills. But the computer IS their attachment to the outside world.

This reinforces my point that I preach a lot - the computer is a very personal experience. People customize it, arrange their icons "just so." And when the computer doesn't work right, it rocks their world!

I thoroughly enjoy helping retired folks. Even if it means not making as much money. I get to make a personal connection with them. And truly get to help them and put a smile on their face.

That's what any good business should be about. Building relationships, and reaching other people for His glory.

Keep in touch!

Sincerely,
Matt Porter
Christian Geeks - IT Consultant
(817) 605-1819
AIM: BigTex0
http://www.christiangeeks.com
http://twitter.com/christiangeeks

No comments: